Thursday, October 2, 2008

A New Beginning

I didn't have a chance to post an update last night and I didn't want to leave another hastily written post since I've neglected my blog so much lately.

I did, in fact, lose my job yesterday. The feeling of panic while waiting to hear my fate was not something I enjoyed and it's also not a feeling I've had very often in my life. Over the years I've tried to hone my life philosophy into something that will inevitably see my through the toughest situations and challenges in my life. I'm happy to say, that my views on life have served me well and have made this ordeal seem much less a tragedy and totally a blessing. Although the loss of my job has nothing to do with job performance, it's still hard to separate myself from the work I put into the world. Everything I do in life is personal to me. In my opinion, there's no other way to see it.

I've had plenty of issues with the tone and atmosphere where I work, but as with almost every place I've worked, there are always a couple of people who make work a little more fun and bearable. For those reasons, I mourn the loss of this job.

When I leave my office on Friday, it will be the first time I've been unemployed since I was 16 years old. I have decided to take a week off to rest and recharge before I start my job search and I'm not sure how I will feel with free time on my hands. I've always had an irrational fear people will perceive me as being lazy so I always have tons going on in my life. But, how will I feel without the largest portion of my week devoted to working? I have no idea, but I'm not scared to face the future because, ultimately, I know what it holds for me.

7 comments:

Jessican said...

Man...that is so tough. I wish you the best and I know that you have the talent and experience to do whatever you want...maybe even something over in the DC/MD area? J/k. I know you couldn't move away from your fam.

If you get a chance, you should check out my latest post. You might find it personally relevant.

ps. are you watching the debate? Palin makes me sick so I have been with the sound off. What a joke.

Unknown said...

Oh Heather, I went to Jessica's blog to discuss the debate and then I read the post...and the debate seemed unimportant. Your attitude seems amazing! I love that you know what the future holds, because you know God has everything working together for a purpose, right? I will pray for you daily! Take a break! You need a rest. Working since 16, GEEZ Louise!

stargurrl13 said...

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement Jessican and Rebeckah!

I really was thrown for a loop at first but I've found my balance and am moving on....the only other alternative is rolling over and giving up and that's just not my style.

I will, of course be giving play-by-play job search blogs......so that might be an interesting adventure!

Jenn said...

hey heather.
it was so great seeing you guys.
i dont care when allans opening is i will be there! even if i have to drive lol
sorry to hear about your job! but like they say when a door gets shut on you go through the window!
good luck in your adventure!
*liljenn

Jessica said...

Man, I'm so behind on my blog reading without wireless. It's really pissing me off!!! :)

Anyways....I totally agree with everyone else's comments as well. Sometimes change can be a good thing, even if it's not really self chosen.

And if you don't find anything right away.. it's okay. We'll just tell our husband to pick up some extra hours at work:)

Love ya, girl.. I have high hopes that there is a big door just waiting to open wide up for you!!!!

lani michele said...

So, so sorry to hear. I know what it feels like, as I was laid off from my last job. Not fun, even if it's not your fault, as you mentioned. Many times these things are blessings in disguise, leading you to bigger and better things. Stay strong and positive!

Unknown said...

Hello Dear Sweet Friend of New Beginnings! I just stopped by to say hi and I am totally praying for you! Night and day : )! Also, if you do need any blog material, I tagged you a few days ago in something. I don't know if you like those or not. Some people don't. I like them, but it always takes me a week or two (or month) to do them! Hope you are having a happy weekend!