Sunday, August 10, 2008

Sometimes you've gotta break the rules....

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. I'm a virgo and a planner. I can't help it...I thrive under structure and order in most areas of my life. Even when my desk is messy and apprears unorganized, it's not. I know exactly where everything is, so I guess it's organized chaos.



Growing up, my parents weren't heavy handed with rules. There were basic "house rules" for keeping order and giving respect to all those who lived there, but for the most part, we were given all the freedom we deserved and rules and boundaries were put in place if we did something to warrant their placement. It was a very happy and loving way to grow up and I'll always be greatful to my parents for their wise parenting (which continues to this day, I might add).



I've kindof adopted the same policy for my own life. I'm free to do what I want, but when there needs to be more structure, I will implement my own rules. I don't know.....maybe everyone does this, but I've never really heard any of my friends talk about it so I think I may be alone on this one.



One of the areas where I seem to have the most rules is in regards to relationships with men.



Here are some of the rules I've implemented over the years:



- No workplace relationships

- No latin american macho men

- No dating a man I've met in a bar

- No blind dates

-No dating a man who lives with his parents

-No dating a man who doesn't have a job or a car

- No giving out of phone number or address until I know whether or not a guy
is crazy (saves me the trouble of a restraining order later)

There are several more, but I think you get the idea. Each rule was put in place after the end of a disasterous experience with the opposite sex.

I'll be the first to admit it....I'm a terrible person to date. I'm far too aloof and fiercely independent- two things many men find intimidating. But lately, I've been playing around with the idea that maybe some of these rules are no longer applicable (not necessarily the ones I've listed) and should at least be broken and maybe eliminated.....depending on how the initial breaking of the rules goes.

This experiment is a work in progress, so I'll most likely be blogging about it again in the future. I've already broken one of my rules and I'm still processing the outcome. On the whole, it was a delightful departure for me, but the proof will be in the aftermath.

I wait for the dust to settle.........
(to be continued)

3 comments:

Jessican said...

Hmmm...rule breaking, eh? As a fellow Virgo, I must express how uncomfortable this makes me, but...

...it is usually fun.

Keep us posted on the man-drama.

stargurrl13 said...

I have to admit, it has been exciting so far.....

Although, I'm not going to go very far outside my comfort zone!

Unknown said...

I guess I wasn't your friend yet when you posted this. Now everything is kind of comin together for me. Kind of! Definitely excited about more details. And you know, if you can't post them here, well, there's always facebook. Crossing my fingers : ) aloof and independant friend!