Thursday, July 7, 2011

What's in a Name?

I am of the belief that one doesn't pick out a nickname for someone, but rather the nickname picks the person. Often I blog about friends or unavailables and instead of asking for permission each time, I tend to use nicknames to protect identities. The parties involved know to whom I'm referring and it keeps everyone happy. Two years ago I wrote about my family's obsession with nicknames and decided to re-post this after yesterdays nickname discussion with Baby Boy. Enjoy!

The Nickname Game- July 5, 2008

Nicknames.......my family is a nickname kind of family. It's a multi-generational thing with us and I used to think that all families were like mine as far as nicknames were concerned, but I'm not so sure anymore.

To start, before my parents were even married, my dad was called "Cookie" by friends and co-workers [actually, he was Little Cookie and my grandfather was just Cookie]. My mother's dad and uncle thought it was a funny nickname (even though his last name is Cook) and they started calling him "cornbread" as a joke. Then the day of my parents wedding, my grandfather (my Lovey Mom's dad) mused that my father looked like a deacon in his suit and forever after that my grandfather and my father called each other "Deacon". Always. Not son (in-law), not dad, not by their first names. Just their common nickname for each other: Deacon.


It's not just that everyone has a nickname......we usually have several that are used frequently. I guess that's the part that's a bit strange to most others. It seems perfectly normal to me, but I grew up surrounded by adults that used multiple nicknames.........what can I say? I guess I come by it honestly.


Here is an overview of my siblings, nieces and nephews and their nicknames just so you can gain an understanding of how my family adores using nicknames.


My oldest sister Julie is most often called Jule (pronounced like Jewel) or Jujee. Sometimes we'll even shorten Jujee and just call her Juj (did we really make another nickname OUT of a nickname? Oh yes we did!)


My sister Melissa's first nickname was given to her by my father when she was an infant. He called her "Mippy Dip" because the curl on the top of her head reminded him of a dip cone. Her other nicknames are Missy, Mip, Misser Sisser, Mimi and Meem.


My little brother Chuck also has several. When he was born, my father was still "Little Cookie" to many so those friends called my brother "Cookie Crumb". That nickname didn't stick around, but he's had plenty more over the years. Chuckie, Buck, Wooger Booger. Now that he's an uncle, he's most often referred to as Uncle Buck (for a short time, our nephew Chris called him Donald Buck).


AAAANNNNNNDDDDD.....I don't want to leave myself out! My first nickname was "Heavy" and was given to me by my sister Melissa because she couldn't say Heather. When my little brother was about 2, he called me "uh-oh" for about a year. Other names that I've been called (I'm talking NICKNAMES people!) are Deder, Heheher, Booger Wooger (not to be mistaken for Chuck's Booger Wooger). Heather Ann (Ann isn't my middle name), Starla, stargirl, Hev and Hevver.


Now for the kids!


Tyler: Matty Ty, Matthias Tylus and Tyler Rupert (sometimes we just call him Rupert)

Phillip: Pilpy, Pilly Pot, Philly-Pilly

Christopher: Crispy, Crisp, Crispy Critter and Christopher Robin

Nick: Neeko, Nickel Pickle, Cabezon (this is because his head is HUGE and I love it!)

Emily: Emmy Dawny, Emma Pooka Looners, pooka looka, Emmalia, Em

Erika: Rarika, P.B. (I've caller her this since she was about 2 years old, but now that she's a teenager, I can't say what it stands for because it might embarrass her)

Justin: Bubba Joe, Bustin and sometimes just Bubba

Jared: Pared, JP, Perry

Andy: Andy-boo, Boo Bear and Sugar Bear Itchy Spot

Max: Maxamillian, Sugar Max and Maxeroni and Cheese

Lauren: Sugar Lips and Laurney Little Bit. (More recently I've started calling her mini me. She looks just like I did when I was a child.)

Tommy: Twister Man, Monkey Boy, Tommy Toodles and Tom Bomb


Also, I call my parents Poppy Bear and Lovey Mom.


So......there you have it. Here's what I want to know:


1. What are your nicknames?

2. Do you think my family's used of so many nicknames is odd?

4 comments:

Judson said...

You were called Cookie in college too.

stargurrl13 said...

That's true. I was know as Cookie Rodriguez in some circles in college. And, in the interest of full disclosure, I should probably also list the name I used in my high school Spanish class. Since there is no Spanish equivalent for Heather, I chose the closest I could come to it sound wise: Hector. I'm not sure who amended it and started calling my Hector Prynn, but it stuck. In retrospect, it was a very fitting name. :)

Kat said...

Let's see my nicknames: Kat, Katy (not katie, but Kahtee), Kafleem (rhymes with caffeine), Aunt Kakeleen, Katita, Katita Meeshel, Fireball, Kath, Kathy (DISLIKE!), Rizitos, and Caracolillos.

So, no, not too many nicknames at all Feather.

stargurrl13 said...

Arrrgh! I keep forgetting all the nicknames family and friends call me. Feather, Heather Leather, Punky. Geesh! I'm sure I'll have to add more.

At some point it's overkill, right?