Sunday, November 2, 2008

A Poem

I just got back from a few days at my parents and I got to see all of the kiddos (well, 9 of the 12) and I'm feeling refreshed from being surrounded by all the love. It's so comforting to know that love will be there no matter what and it's not dependant on what I do, how I live or who I love. I fully realize there are lots of people who don't know that kind of love and it is so hard for me to understand.....it just baffles me.

This is a poem I wrote my last year in college about a friend who didn't know what unconditional love was like.

[Untitled- for Rich]

Sorry, my longtime friend.
I begin with an apology....

why?

Because I never knew

Your Pain.

never heard it in your voice
never saw it in your eyes
never suspected it in your life.

But tonight--
tonight I sat and digested all of

Your Pain

expressed through written words.

What a heavy pen you use!
(Borne like a martyr's cross)

Yet, through that cross I know
you've obtained liberation--
Liberation of a sort,
but not an easing of

Your Pain

(I didn't realize how alone
you must have felt)

I know I couldn't have stopped

Your Pain

but I should have noticed
your furrowed brow
your eyes which seemed so old
(please forgive my blindness)

Now I sit and think of you--
searching my heart
trying to feel

Your Pain

But--
I cannot
because

Your Pain

is one that you have chosen,
not one that was forced upon you.

So, I end with an apology--
Sorry, my longtime friend
I never knew
Your Pain

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So beautiful. How is he now? I hope he is being loved. Every person deserves to be loved unconditionally.

Unknown said...

Thank you SO much for praying for Quince! I LOVE that your Mom and her Bible study will be praying. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Unknown said...

I just came back to read this poem again because I like it so much! I hope you can do something with your creative side during this hiatus from the real job since I can just feel the creativity bursting out of you...even from a lot of states away : )!