Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Soul Mates

I can already hear some of the grumbling from the peanut gallery, "Soul mates??? Puh-shaw!" That's fine.....I realize there are many who either don't believe in soul mates or feel uncomfortable with the term, but that's what I'm here for: to blog about things you might not otherwise consider. Okay.....so, that's probably NOT the reason I blog, but it sounds good.

I've expressed my views on soul mates to many over the years, but haven't actually ever tried to put it into words. So much of what I believe and feel is instinctual....seemingly wrapped up in my genetic make-up it's hard to convey to others. But I will try....Oh, I will try!

First of all it's important to note I don't think there is just one soul mate for each person, but rather several. But, I also believe there is one, true and perfect match for everyone. [I'm sure this comes as a surprise to some given my propensity to be a loner.] Believe me....I know this seems like a contradiction, but bear with me.....I'll try to clear it all up for you!

I'm sure everyone has had the experience of meeting someone and instantly feeling a connection. Love for the same authors, music, cars, vacation spot, sports team......all manner of things bring people together. Those people can be, and probably are, your soul mates. They may be in your life for a short time or might end up being a life-long friend, but the common bonds of those connections make the span of time irrelevant.

I also believe a soul mate can also be a relative. Think about it......do you "gel" better with your mother? Are you closer to one sibling than all the others? What about that cousin who's like a brother or sister? Probably a soul mate. The dictionary defines a soul mate as a person with whom one has a strong affinity. I think, over the years, the term has been distorted into being synonymous with one, true love.......but that's untrue and an unfortunate misinterpretation of the word.

So, you're still not buying it? Well, close your eyes and imagine a perfectly still pool of water. Above that pool, the hand of fate and destiny holds a pebble. At just the precise moment (because you all know I believe nothing happens by accident), the pebble is dropped. The result? A perfect illustration of the different types of soul mates.

At the point of impact is yourself and your one true and perfect match. No, really..... just think about the pebble and the divot it creates on impact.......can't get much closer than that without being one, can you?

As the ripples progress outward, they symbolize the other levels of soul mates......the closer the ring is to the point of impact, the greater the bond with the soul mate. As you get farther from the center, the less the bond is. But, just because the outer circles have a weaker bond, they are still unequivocally connected to the initial pebble's impact.


So, there is my soul mate theory. Do you agree? Disagree? Do you have a theory of your own? I'd like to know!

4 comments:

Jessican said...

Hmmm, this is a tough one. I've gone back and forth on the traditional interpretation of a soul mate, but have to say I never truly believed in THE ONE TRUE LOVE SOULMATE.

I like your interpretation of a soul mate and I could get on board with it, but it really is a very different reading of the traditional idea of a "soul mate"

People change so much over a lifetime depending on where they are and what surrounds them that I have to believe that multiple soul mates exist for us. Otherwise life would be very sad for someone like myself who moves a lot. Yes, I keep my husband who is definitely the "closest ripple" but I also need friends to support me too.

I'm glad to get to see my Heather OKC soul mate this week!

stargurrl13 said...

I think you're totally on the same page. What I'm saying is, there are MANY soul mates in our lives throughout our lifetime....those are the friends and loved ones that help us make it through. The ONE TRUE soul mate is the person we should ultimately end up with in a committed, loving relationship.

Thus the ripple example.

I can't wait to see you!!!!!!

Unknown said...

These thoughts are too deep for me this morning : ) but I will think about it thruout the day! I don't know if I have a soul mate. Sometimes I am very lonely.

stargurrl13 said...

I'm so sorry you feel lonely sometimes, I wish I could change that for you. I think you are a soul mate.....that's why we're firends although we've never met.

I'm glad you found my blog!