Saturday, November 3, 2012

Top of the World

Twenty days past the 10 year anniversary of one of the most excellent and spiritual concert experiences, I returned to the same theatre for another life-changing concert experience.

I finally got to see Patty Griffin live and have scratched a major item off my bucket list.



While this experience was every bit as spiritual as the Little Earthquakes show, it was so different. This was the first time in nearly 12 years that Patty has toured by herself; not with a band, not backing up any of her super-famous singing friends- just Patty, a piano and her guitars.



This was a dream come true for me and I got to share it with people I love and who totally understood how special this was going to be. I have loved Patty since a friend shared a track from Living with Ghosts with me. I was blown away by the beauty of the music and that was just the beginning. At that time I couldn't have imagined Flaming Red, 1000 Kisses, A Kiss in Time and then the heart-breaking beauty of Impossible Dream. I have a feeling that will always be my all-time favorite Patty album because of how deeply I feel every track.

There's no way listening to Patty sing from the 7th row could be disappointing. But, as with any artist who has a large catalog of songs from which to choose when planning a set list, not everyone will hear everything they want to hear. There were 3 songs I really wanted to hear live, but I knew I would be fine as long as she sang When it Don't Come Easy. Sadly, she didn't include it in her set list for the Sooner Theatre show, but it's okay. She wrote the song, put it out in the universe for me to enjoy for the rest of my life along with all of her other work. She even played a couple of songs from the upcoming 2013 album!

And, at the end of a very cold wait after the concert, I got to meet her! Absolutely a stellar night!


No comments: