Wednesday, April 8, 2009

An Ode to my Facebook Status

Consolation Prize- by Heather Cook

I stand next to my opponent
Hands hovering over buzzers
-heart beating wildly in my chest-
Waiting to hear the words from your mouth
[That mouth!]
My eyes are focused on your bottom lip
-afraid I might miss something important-
My preparation for this moment is complete
My whole life a training session, leading me to this…..
I’ve passed every test imaginable
I’m eligible for the grand prize
It’s mine for the taking
All I have to do is
Beat the Clock
Buzz in first and hope for
NO WHAMMIES!
The anticipation takes the air from my chest
Your mouth starts to move…..
WHAT?!?
All I can hear is “thump-thump, thump-thump”
And I am blissfully oblivious
As she beats me to the punch

But….I have a lifetime supply of rice-a-roni
[and you are the Biggest Loser]

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I really like this. I'm so glad you're writing again. I've always enjoyed your poetry:)

Although I'm sure the rice-a-roni thing is an inside joke, LOL!

Glad to have you back on the blogosphere.