Monday, November 22, 2010

Virtual Mix Tape, Volume 3

Usually, when something is bothering me, I write about it. However, at the moment, I can't begin to explain what it is that's eating at me because it's almost too ironic for words, so I will go to the music. Music can always calm me and help me feel as though the universe is in balance (although the universe and I still aren't on speaking terms at the moment).



1. Always Something There to Remind Me- Naked Eyes
I have always loved this song and, although the songs of the 80s aren't really know for their lyrical genius, this one has words to which most of us can relate.




2. Wichita Lineman- Glen Campbell
One of the all-time best music collaborations will always be Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb. This is one of the best love songs ever written.






3. I Want You- Fefe Dobson
Some of my selections this volume are a bit melancholy, so I'm including this peppy song just to help balance. However, I do love this song despite all its bubblegum popishness.
"I'm gonna gonna make you mine!"






4. Never Dreamed You'd Leave in Summer- Joan Baez
"I thought you would go then come back home....."
Alas, I don't think that was so.






5. End Love- Ok Go
I couldn't leave Ok Go out because they are one of my favorites at the moment. They are probably the most creative musicians I have come across in a long time. They always make me smile.
" 'cause you know you gotta eventually make up your mind"
"So won't you, so won't you talk to me. It's time to decide"



6. Til I Kissed You- The Everly Brothers
For a girl who has loved singing harmony since I was a wee thing, the Everly Brothers were a dream to sing with. But, don't ask me to sing any of their songs by myself because I only know the harmony!
'Never had you on my mind, now you're there all the time...."





7. Forever Young- Bob Dylan
I used some of these lyrics on my birthday invitation a few years ago and it's a great example of why I think Bob is one of the best song writers ever.





8. Top of the World- Patty Griffin
Had to include some Patty because she always speaks to my heart and makes me feel better. The world is a more beautiful place because of the songs she has given us and I love her for that.
"I wish I had known you, I wish I had shown you all of the things I was on the inside....."





9. Hey You- Heart
I love this song for so many reasons not the least of which is that Nancy plays the autoharp!
"I swear by my September stars/I will go where you are going/Forever's never very far/As my love is overflowing"





10. Tribulations- LCD Soundsystem
This band has such an eclectic and retro sound, there's no way I wasn't going to love them.
"You try making me wait....."

No comments: